Friday, April 6, 2007

Making new friends

The one thing that I was most afraid of coming to Ohio State was that I had to make new friends. For some reason I was afraid that I would not be able to make any friends while I was here at school. My friends from back home never changed throughout the years in high school like people said they would and we still keep in touch today. I never really had to put an effort into talking to people or trying to make friends since my high school was small everyone already knew each other and knew who there friends were. I don’t even remember meeting some of my friends because we’ve been friends that long. My friend Shea and I grew up together watching our older sisters, who were the same age also play volleyball in jr.high and high school. I don’t even remember when we actually met we just seemed to have been friends for what seems like ever. I was afraid that coming from such a small high school to OSU would be a huge transition in trying to make friends, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I’ve made a lot of new friends since I have been here and it wasn’t that hard either. The thing that I’m now afraid of is that I’m going to main campus next year I’ll have to start all over again making friends it seems like because my friends here are all getting apartments off campus and I’m trying to get into the dorms. I’m just afraid that I’ll loose the friendships that I’ve made even though I know I probably wont I just don’t want to take that chance I guess.

3 comments:

David said...

Good blog entry. What got my attention was the name of your blog page, Small town to a big city. I also came from a somewhat small town and college is a very big step for me. I was also afraid of looseing my friends back at home because I would be far away and not being able to see them as often as I did. I liked how you said that you would have to make friends again when you transfer. I now realize that i am in the same situation. Overall good blog entry, I felt that I could really relate to this story.

JanelleTravels said...

I know what you mean. It is scary trying to meet new people. I knew some people who were good friends of mine that were going to the Newark campus but we didnt take any classes together, so that first week of classes was very scary to me, not knowing anyone. Just like you I made new friends and am actually in some classes with them this quarter, and in some classes with old friends as well. I've gotten better with dealing with going places and not knowing anyone, it is very scary to me but I try not to let it show. Like the Honors trip to Cananda coming up, I dont know anyone who is going so I'm getting a little freaked out that I'll be alone or everyone else will have their own friends.

Cap'n Fatback said...

Elizabeth, nice job, although you'll want to work on paragraphing, I think--as you offer an extended example that could stand it's own paragraph. 4/5